Child Molestation, Lost Children.
The statistics....This was a wake-up call for me. Sobering. Upsetting.
I knew incidences of child molestation, child abductions and assaults by pedophiles, missing children, and crimes against children were on the increase. But it’s worse than I realized.
Be educated so you can protect your red heads. Fight back!
Here’s a few recent stats I’ve discovered to give you a perspective.
--- LOST KIDS ---
Statistics according to the Alyssa Dver, founder of 'The Center to Prevent Lost Children websiteOver 2000 U.S. kids get lost every dayLess than 10% are reported90% of families will experience losing a child in a public place95% remember the trauma of getting lostParents rank losing a child 5 times more concerning to them than terrorism and 3 times more concerning than abductionKids get lost most often in malls and stores (45%)Nearly 1 in 3 families that visit an amusement park lose a child while they are there. Only 9% of parents put some form of safe ID on their children76% of parents want to know what to do to prevent a child from getting lost7 out of 10 kids get lost at least once The Dept. of Justice reports over 1.3 million children lost or missing each year. Of those, approximately 100 kidnappings compared to 800,000 children lost for other purposes that are not of their own will (family-related snatchings, lost for benign reasons such as wandering away...) See National Sex Offender Public Website by US Dept. of Justice.
(ALSO: Don't be afraid to use safety products to keep your kids close when out in public! A good example are the many cute "child harnesses" that your child can wear - a stuffed animal like a backpack and the 'tail' is in held by the adult -- There are several different makers of these adorable products such as Disney, Eddie Bauer, and more....)
--- CHILD MOLESTATION ---
Statistics from the FBI, Crimes Against Children website
- The FBI estimates each child has almost a 25% chance of being molested, with a sex offender living ‘in every square mile of the United States.’
- They also believe approximately 1 in 10 men have molested children, with only a 3% chance of being caught for their crimes. (That’s why you should identify registered offenders in your area…..).
According to Ken Wooden, author and expert on child protection
at Child Lures Prevention website (Seen on CNN, Oprah, Today, Primetime. Website HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)
TALK TO YOUR LOCAL SCHOOL and do a PROGRAM on this!!!
- Predators are male and female, adults of all ages, all classes, all races, all vocations.
- Male offenders who abused girls had an average of 52 victims each
- Men who molested boys had an astonishing average of 150 victims each -- what an eye-opening statistic!
- Only 3% of these crimes had ever been detected.
- 49% of offenders of victims under age 6 were family members
- 42% of offenders of victims ages 7-11 were family members
- 24% of offenders of victims ages 12 - 17 were family members
- Most common age to be victim – brink of puberty, pre-teen because are curious or ignorant. (So important o supervise and talk honestly openly about sexuality so child molesters don’t teach our kids for us!
- Peak time for assaults on children: after school, 3 p.m. Also at meal times (morning, noon, dinnertime) in a residence of victim, offender or other home. Other incidents were at the traditional meal times of 8 am, noon and 6 pm. Most of these assaults happened in the home of the victim, the home of the offender, or another residence.
- Men who abused girls had an average of 52 victims each.
- Men who molested boys had an astonishing average of 150 victims each
- Only 3% of these crimes had ever been detected.
- The most common lure affection (see LURES on ‘prevention tips’)
According to Dr. Herbert Wagemaker, an author and psychiatrist regarding pedophiles:
- 4% of the population suffers from sexual orientation toward children.
- Almost 70% of children were molested by family members, fathers, uncles, and grandfathers – males they trusted.
- Pedophilia involves sexual attraction/orientation towards children, and usually involves males. Pedophilia is very rare among females.
- These fantasies and actions often last for at least a 6-month time period, often involving 2 or more kids, and recurs.
According to Wikipedia, as of 2009,
- Websites containing ‘exploitive material’ regarding children is over 4 million, with up to 500 sites created daily, and these internet crimes are growing at an alarming rate.
- Online child abuse statistics are increasing in severity of content and number of images. Internet crimes regarding children is growing
Statistics according to the Family Watchdog website:
- 1 of 5 girls and 1 of 6 boys will be molested before their 18th birthday.
- 90% of all sexual assaults against children are committed by someone whom the victim knew.
- The typical sexual predator will assault 117 times before being caught.
- The re-arrest rate for convicted child molesters is 52%.
-- My other "Child Safety Tips" pages to visit:
First Aid Kit | Learn CPR | Amber Alert | Sex Offender Registry Guide
Preventing Sexual Abuse | Child Abduction Prevention | Online Safety Tips
Return to "Child Safety Tips" -- main page
Leave "Statistics" and go to "Home Page"