So, what about me?
WHO in the heck is the webmaster for Raising-Redheads.com?
Well, first I want to say hello and welcome
My name is Debra and I'm the mother of 2 beautiful redhead daughters. So, of course...I love redheads (gingers)!!
Since you ARE reading this website, I suspect you may be a redhead yourself, have someone in your family with red hair, or know a redhead.
-- OUR STORY?.....
Well, you just never know what life will bring! It turns out my husband and I had a very unexpected and pleasant surprise in the Delivery Room when our 1st child was born!
When the delivery nurse said, "I see red hair!" We thought, "Nah."* * * * * * *
....Well, the baby was delivered and there we saw it: A newborn's head with bright red hair!!Then a few years later, our 2nd child was born and the same scenario!... We couldn't believe it! -- TWO REDHEADS
I'm not a redhead myself, but when I "had" brown hair years ago I did have red highlights when out in the sun.
My mom's heritage was Northern Italian, and BOTH her brother and sister had red hair. Although Mom had beautiful black hair, she definitely had a redhead's complexion with freckles and very fair skin. I also have a nephew with red hair. My Dad's heritage was Swedish (many blondes!). My husband is a brunette and on his side of the family there are no redheads that we know of -- so it's a mystery where the gene(s) came from.
Well, my husband and I soon discovered that no matter where we went in public with one or more of the kids, people stared and we usually heard THE question: "Where'd they get the red hair?"
Boy, I wish we had a $$ dollar bill $$
for every time we heart THAT one! I DO understand why people asked that because my husband and I both had brown hair then and yet had 2 very redhead kids! I know other parents of redheads often have similar experiences as well.
Not a surprise, our family really
got the attention out in public when we lived overseas
We had the opportunity to live in South Korea for about a year, and boy did our kids stick out like sore thumbs! The beautiful Korean people were a LOT shorter than us and ALL with lovely black hair and dark eyes...SO, anytime we were out we got noticed!
Often, (like the Korean couple in this PHOTO) strangers would point and smile politely at us, then ask to have their picture taken with our kids. Plus, they often wanted to touch their hair!
We later moved to England for several years where fortunately we managed to blend in better with the locals (until we spoke and then of course it was obvious we were "Yanks"). Still, the kids' red hair was quite a conversation starter and we still got attention.
We've since moved back to the States but we are SO grateful for our wonderful experiences overseas and the lovely people we've met.
-- SO, WHY THE WEBSITE?...
There are several reasons really:
- To have a "Brag Book" -- a place to brag about our gorgeous redheads and our families.
- Fellowship for red heads and grownups raising red heads, a place to laugh and share with others in the same boat. There's always funny stuff to share!
- To pass along some common sense parenting tips and advice pertaining to "raising redheads". Redheads DO have specific trials and issues they deal with that other kids don't because of their hair color and freckles.
- Finally, quite frankly I'm disgusted and angered by the adult-content websites that come up when surfing on the Internet regarding redheads. They are SO much more than that! As a parent of 2 beautiful redheads, I find it offensive and degrading. SO, I decided I wanted a site with family-friendly content for redheads and their friends and relatives -- sort of a family magazine.
-- NOW WHAT?...
Along the way we've all learned things about parenting and life in general. SO, let's share them. HOW? YOU can share with us on different topics by going to our
"Chatterbox Central" page (or get there by clicking on the "Chatterbox" navigation button on the left)
You may also contact me directly through the Contact Me page.
This site is not just about me or our family but about YOU too! I look forward to hearing what you have to say.
Being parents of redheaded children brings its own pride and joy. Somehow, we feel special too in raising these gifts from God. I hope you enjoy the website!!!
May God bless you,
- This site is dedicated to the Lord Jesus Christ, who is my life. -
And to my Mom, a redhead at heart.
To Top of "About Me" Page
Back to Home Page